06 July 2007

weekender...

great shall be your reward...

Sister Martha, Sister Beatrice and Sister Janice fount themselves with St. Peter in front of the Pearly Gates.

"Sisters," said St. Peter, "leading lives as committed and sanctified as you have in the name of the Lord, there is a special reward that he has given you. For one day you may be the person for whom you have the greatest respect and honor. Sister Martha, you are first."

"Oh, Your Holiness, I have always admired and tried to model my life after the works and teachings of St. Francis of Assissi. I would find it not just an honor but also a reward to minister in his eyes."

"Granted," replied St. Pete. "Sister Beatrice, who would be your choice."

"St. Peter, I have been inspired by the works of Mother Theresa, but I would never presume to be her for any amount of time. I would find great honor in just working by her side with the downtrodden and infirmed for one day."

"Granted," nodded St. Pete. "Sister Janice."

"Your holiness, I would like to be Virginia Pippelinni for one day."

St. Peter gazes at her with a questioning look and replies, "I have never heard of Virginia Pippelini, Sister" and turns to his book of names. After consulting the book he looks again at Sister Janice and says, "There is no one with that name in my book."

"But St. Peter, she was very famous. She even was on the front page of the New York Times." With that she reaches into a fold of her habit and retrieves a yellowed page of newsprint, unfolds it and hands it to St. Peter.

St. Peter's eyes become as wide as saucers; they roll up and he shakes his head slowly.

"Sister, this reads,

'Virginia Pipeline Laid By 300 Men!'"


oh, my....

No comments: