14 October 2008

i have a confession to make...

months and months ago, i stopped reading Andrew Sullivan's The Daily Dish.

He was making me crazy. At every turn during the Democratic Primaries he did nothing but dis the Clintons, and sometimes what he wrote was like nails on a chalkboard to me.

So, my confession is that I have started reading him again. He has stopped berating Bill and Hillary and has taken a stand for Obama and reports objectively on the hypocrisies of the GOP and the Mcpains. Though, I still disagree with him on many things and I don't read him closely, I'm back to reading, or at least scanning him, on a daily basis.

I had to make this confession because he posted something today with which I completely agree: Clintonites for Obama

Though I still believe that Hillary would be the better president for addressing the problems we're in right now, I certainly have shown my support for Senator Obama, and not just because he is the lesser of two evils. In comparison, there is very little different between he and Hillary when it comes to issues. I just think she would be stronger for many reasons.

Back to the post Andrew wrote that I mentioned above. He quotes a story in the Washington Post [Hillary Clinton for Supreme Court?]
Voters attending Mrs. Clinton's homecoming rally, a campaign event for her one-time rival, said they will now back Mr. Obama, and most of them, unprompted, told The Washington Times they want him to choose their former first lady for the high court.

Sullivan writes that he has been pushing this idea for years.

I wholeheartedly agree. She would be a logical choice and a brilliant addition to SCOTUS. She has the background and experience. She would be a great replacement for John Paul Stevens, who has gone above and beyond the call of duty. [I might add he's a great man. I met him in the 1990's and was completely won over to his accomplishments and history after listening to him for five minutes, and it was a social event.]

Politically, it would be a brilliant stroke for Obama. If Hillary is on the court, he wouldn't have to worry about any future contest with her.

Let's wait and see what happens. First, of course, Senator Obama has to be elected. My cynicism prevents me from saying he is the shoo-in that many are prophesizing. I don't actually trust the American electorate to do what is right. I have run into too many people who say the right thing, but they do the opposite. They don't want to be discovered for the hypocrites they are, and I still think this election IS about race when you get right down to it to many of these voters.

this is soooo sad to me...

No comments: