27 October 2007

Leopard leaps...

As usual, I had to get Apple's newest OS X incarnation - Leopard - instantly.

I have to say it not only is the best OS I've ever used but has taken care of a number of problems I was having with my Intel MacBook. The fans no longer run constantly nor at full speed when watching video. Safari has become completely stable and no longer quits when clicking on a PDF. The physical temperature has gone down considerably and longer leaves a red spot on my lap. It's faster and clearer. It's obvious that it was developed for the Intel based machines, even though, I think, it says that it will work with the last 12 generations of Macs. Sweet. [That part I'll let you know about after I install it on my other machines. I'm especially interested in what it will do on the computer I use for music, movies, pictures, etc. That will really put it to the test. Those things are power and memory hogs.]

The new features are also, after 24 hours making my work so much easier. I'm one of those who has multiple windows, applications and utilities open at the same time. Spaces has solved the problem of finding where I'm going easier. The new Dock feature called Stacks makes finding documents in frequently used folders so easy to find without ever going to a Finder window or list and forgetting where I was or what I was doing.

Cover Flow is one of the greatest things of all. It's a view of each document in a folder that you can see at the top of the window that is similar to the iPhone and iTouchPod that allows you to determine if the document you want is in fact the one. at the top of the window, over the list of documents, is a flowing of all the folder's contents. If you think you see the one you're looking for, rather than opening up the application, you merely hit the spacebar and a full image of the document pops out at you as it looks in the application. If it's the one you're looking for, you just double-click on it. Check it out:

Cover Flow.jpeg


Brilliant!

i am sooooo happy with Leopard.

of course, it is purely for selfish reasons. not only because it solves lots of problems for me, makes working much easier, but because i have Apple stock that i bought years ago at $17. yesterday's close was $184.70!

it's more than a to'fer...

No comments: