08 October 2007

black-on-black Bugatti Veyron...

I spent the day Sunday downtown at the Chicago Marathon. That's quite another story, and you've probably heard about it on the news or in the papers. Hottest October 7th on record and people were falling out left and right. A 35-year old man died from a congenital heart defect associated with the run and heat.

I was there because my nephew was running his first marathon. So, that's how this post is really coming about.

After we all parted I was walking back to the car park and passed the Bentley dealership. At the corner window was a larger than usual group of guys, at least for a Sunday [dealers are closed by law on Sundays in Illinois] gawking at the window. There, surrounded by velvet ropes was the car of anyone's dreams - especially mine. I've posted about this car before here. The Bugatti Veyron - in the flesh, or should I say metalwork. To refresh your memories:

veyron


All $1.5 million of it. The unusual thing about the car at the dealership was that it was black-on-black. They are all dual colors, but I had never heard about one that was black-on-black. I heard one of the men there talking to his son saying out loud what I was thinking about no black-on-black. He told his son that as far as he knew this one was a special order.

I tried to find a picture of a Veyron on the internet that is black-on-black and couldn't find one. He may have been right.

There was also a number of teens there who couldn't quite get enough of looking at it. When I asked them if they had an extra $1.5 million to buy one, their jaws dropped. They really didn't know what they were looking at, only that their car-pheromones were in overdrive. {Mine were also. Actually, I should say, I was moist, to say the least.]

I jokingly told the kids that they were coming out with a convertible that would be a few hundred thousand dollars more but wouldn't be as fast. One of them instantly joked, "If it's not as fast, I don't want the convertible."

After they left, I stood in front of the dreamcar for a few more minutes. My thought was that I would give anything just to sit in one, let alone ride in one.

they'd probably charge $5,000 for a sit-in. i couldn't afford that right now...

oh, well...




an interesting side-bar: lately they've been pairing up the Veyron with other cars to prove that it is not as fast as is stated - 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds! So far, it's beat everything. next up, i kid you not, they are going to put it up against a jet fighter taking off. i'm not taking any bets on this one...

No comments: