04 September 2008

it IS about race...

I am disappointed by some things I recently heard about people I have known and cared for many years. I must admit that I never expected it and I am wondering if there is an undercurrent that is more prevalent than anyone expects going on in this election cycle.

What I was told is that they are not going to vote for Obama because he is black!

I suppose that I shouldn't be as surprised as I am. I worked in a predominantly African-American public school for many years and also have very close African-American friends who have taken me into their families. I know first hand from them what they sometimes go through and have witnessed myself. I have never had a problem with race or color and that is thanks to the teaching from my parents.

I also thought that most people I know are beyond this. I'm personally hurt by it, but there is nothing I can do about it.

though i am often saying "they'll get over it, and when they do, they'll realize there was nothing to get over in the first place." i don't think that i will be able to get over this. it is truly something that is beyond my comprehension...

No comments: