04 September 2008

it IS about race - part 2...

After my previous post about race playing a part in this election, Pam Spaulding over at Pam's House Blend put up a post that bolsters my concern into the wider political field:
Georgia Republican Rep. Lynn Westmoreland calls Obama 'uppity'
"Just from what little I've seen of her and Mr. Obama, Sen. Obama, they're a member of an elitist-class individual that thinks that they're uppity," Westmoreland said. Asked to clarify that he used the word "uppity," Westmoreland said, "Uppity, yeah.

I suppose that my first reaction should be, "Well, he's from Georgia. Whatta ya expect?" but that is unconscionable on my part. This would be stooping to his level, and I know people from Georgia who have no inklings like his.

I fear that issues are not going to be the deciding factor in this election. It will be interesting to see if McCain puts himself above the fray in his speech tonight.

and... no, i will not be watching it. i much prefer to read it like i did Palin's. A speech that when read rather than listened to (i have heard parts) is really rather boring and does not deal with any issues or say anything of substance. her lipstick line was amusing but (to be catty) her shade would look better on a pit pull. [she has opened herself up to a lot of hits for that line in the coming two months.]

No comments: