Guns or Doctors?
- The number of physicians in the U.S. is 700,000.
- Accidental deaths caused by Physicians per year are 120,000.
- Accidental deaths per physician are 0.171.
(Statistics courtesy of U.S. Dept of Health Human Services.)
Now think about this:
- The number of gun owners in the U.S. is 80,000,000. (Yes, that's 80 million.)
- The number of accidental gun deaths per year, all age groups, is 1,500.
- The number of accidental deaths per gun owner is 0.00188.
(Statistics courtesy of the FBI.)
So, statistically: Doctors are approximately 9,000 (0.171/0.00188) times more dangerous than gun owners.
Remember, "Guns don't kill people, doctors do."
FACT: NOT EVERYONE HAS A GUN, BUT ALMOST EVERYONE HAS AT LEAST ONE DOCTOR.
Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets completely out of hand.
Corollary: Out of concern for the public at large, I have withheld the statistics on lawyers for fear the shock would cause people to panic and seek medical attention.
or as the joke goes in the movie Philadelphia: What do you call 1,000 lawyers as the bottom of the ocean?
A good start...
should we change that to doctors?
I like my doctor a lot. He'd love this sort of thing. He's a hoot. Just yesterday he told me that I was his role model. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that, but I was flattered.
Hmmmm, really, what did he mean by that?