24 May 2008

Saturday gas price...

I have filled up my tank at the same gas station for the last 17+ years. I also can remember paying 36¢ a gallon back in 1970 when I owned one of the first two Pontiac Trans Ams in Chicagoland. You know, a car with 455 hp with an automatic back hood-scoop that sucked in air to give an almost a pure mixture of fuel with the air that kinda-sorta made the car go fast. totally sweet...

Today I paid $4.24 per gallon! The sign out front said that it was $4.29. It usually is 5¢ cheaper at the pump where I go but I don't know if that's because I use the station's credit card and thus get a break or because they just post it different for some reason. To keep people away?

The tank was half-full. Instead of waiting until the tank is empty, I've been refilling at the half-way mark. I'm sure that I'm paying the same per tank either way. Psychologically, it's easier to accept $45 rather than $80! I have to admit that I drive the SUV of my dreams so it is my fault. I intend to go smaller now that I don't work any more, but my lease isn't up until January and the leasing company will not let me break it before then. Until then, I think I may have to come up with an alternative like this one -



Sail car.jpg





Jim Cramer over at TheStreet.com predicted when he appeared on MSNBC the other day that gas would reach $5 per gallon in June. He also said something very interesting about the gas companies not being able to keep up with their reserves by then.

I'm not actually sure what that means. Does it mean that they are trying to make as much money as possible now before no one can afford to do anything but walk? Could it be that we are in for a siege at the pump?

One other thing that Cramer reported was where the problem is originating - India and China. Seems that the demand in those two countries is almost to the point of overtaking supply. They have both become mobile societies.

The problem with this scenario is both China and India regulate gas prices. There is a lot of rancor and turmoil at the high prices over there. The populace is on the verge of riot if the prices don't come down or stay where they are.

Again, I'm not certain what that means for us but I'm wondering if we (Europe, U.S. and other industrial nations) are not in effect subsidizing this with our higher prices?

i'm just asking...

No comments: