15 May 2008

e-books...

I am a nut for technology and all its (de)vices. I readily admit it. They are both useful and a hobby for me.

One of the things that I have fought is e-books believing that it wouldn't satisfy the pleasure of holding an actual book in my paws.

On the other hand, I also was envious of seeing Jean-Luc Picard and his crew on Enterprise using e-books to read, even if sometimes Jean-Luc read antiques books for effect.

Well, I finally broke down, I bought Amazon's Kindle a couple of weeks ago.



Kindle.jpg



It's amazing. For the first time in quite a while I'm able to read every word because I can change the font size for my tired, old, aging eyes. It's comfortable to hold, lightweight, easily transported, only the size of one of those fancy paperback books and comfortable on the stationary bike.

Current books cost $9.99; older books are cheaper; and I bought one for $2.39! It also makes my habit of reading more than one book at a time extra easy. I don't have to find a book when I want to read it. They are all there on the Kindle.

Of course, I know that I won't be able to give up hard copy books completely. There is just something about what Guttenberg gave us so many centuries ago...

No comments: