07 December 2007

public schools and prayer...

There is a lot of talk about religion in government lately. Well, more than usual with Romney and Giuliani. In Illinois the state legislature passed a law entitled The Illinois Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act. I will state up front that I am totally opposed to this kind of law as set out in the US Constitution
First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The courts have repeatedly struck down any law passed as being construed to foster religion. It's called playing it safe.

I want to take a different tack. I have been a teacher, administrator and educator my entire adult life. From the standpoint of a teacher, we would, in any circumstance, love to have moments of silence in our classrooms. When you have up to 30 kids in a single room there are points in the day when sanity comes into question. When you work with the youngest, sanity is in question most all day.

I can see a built-in excuse for teachers to enforce some silence from time to time during the day by telling the kids, "Hey! It's the LAW. [Sometimes, though rarely, they believe anything.]

So, from that viewpoint, I could go along with the law - just asking for silence. What the child does with the silence is totally up to him/her. Most kids, from my experience, would read.

Here's where the idiots in the Illinois Legislature made their mistake, and most other legislatures do the same thing. Read the title carefully - The Illinois Silent Reflection and Student Prayer Act

duh!!!!!!!! Put the courts on notice by using the word in the title of the act - Prayer!

If the legislators had backed it up with an explanation of time to refocus on instruction or let's catch our breaths or GIVE me a break you're driving me NUTS! there wouldn't be a problem.

If the parents, who are so inclined, want to tell their children, "You know when you have to be silent during the day? Would you do me a favor? Say a little prayer for...." Who'll be the wiser? Of course, the parent better tell their children not to tell anyone they are doing it. Kids are notorious for being cruel to each other. [Um, that's an understatement.] I saw kids every day bow their heads, mumble some words, or cross themselves silently, to themselves with no attention. No one bothered to notice. You can pray anyplace you want. It's your business.

Just don't tell me that I HAVE to sanction and set aside a time for it to happen as prayer. And the silent reflection thing? Honey, that's just another word for prayer.

My personal rule is - you can do anything you want as long as it doesn't hurt me physically or emotionally. BUT... you have to do the same for me. It is my choice not to believe or not to pray or to dance on the desk or be silent, as long as I don't do anything that can hurt you physically or emotionally - and don't tell me that my not praying hurts you emotionally. If you're that fragile, you need help.

Deal?

No comments: