17 December 2007

Dan Fogelberg...

One of the things that I've noticed while getting older is that you start to view hearing about people's deaths differently. Before, the reaction was a combination of initial shock and then a shrug of the shoulders. Like hearing a statement of fact that momentarily had an emotion attached to it.

Now, it's like, "Oh, another one." and an instant recall of memories associated with the person or a memory that I attached to a person. It weighs a little more than before.

News of Dan Fogelberg's death was on Page 2 of today's Chicago Sun-Times. My mind instantly went to the face of a friend I haven't seen or talked to in many years - April. I don't know exactly why we haven't kept in touch; we were very close. I contacted her a couple of times. I even got a clipping from her about her father's death a few years ago. I guess, no, I know, things just happen.

Why Dan Fogelberg brought her to mind, I'm not really sure. Maybe, it was his voice. Maybe, it was some song we shared by him. Who knows? At least, we'll always have memories.

I know a lot of people are familiar with the song Run For the Roses but I'm not sure that many are aware that Dan Fogelberg wrote it. I liked this video of it. Enjoy Dan's voice...

No comments: