27 December 2007

Cain and Abel and Huckabee and Romney...

Since we now have a presidential campaign that is breaking Article VI* of the Constitution, if not legally but in spirit, and a couple of the Republican candidates have made it very clear that they ascribe to the literal view of the Bible with not believing in evolution and that democracy cannot survive without religion or their G**, I'd like to understand how they reconcile their views with this passage from Genesis 4:
13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
15 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.
17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.


Now, if I understand this correctly, Cain's argument to G** is, "if you send me out of this land [Eden I assume], others may kill me." G**'s response is to put a mark on Cain that would prevent anyone from killing or harming him.

First, if Adam and Eve were the first man and woman and Cain and Abel were the first of their children, from where did these other people who might kill Cain come?

Second, if Cain knew his wife, meaning in the biblical sense, and Adam and Eve were the first people to bear children, meaning that Cain's wife had to at least be his niece but probably his sister since he was the first born, and they had a son, Enoch, wouldn't his wife then have to be his sister? And wouldn't his son also have to be his nephew? Isn't this incest and doesn't the Bible forbid it?

And while I'm on it, Huckabee et.al. are literalists and do not believe in evolution. They believe that the earth was created by their G** in six days. Couldn't it be very possible that G**'s day isn't 24 hours like ours but maybe, oh, I don't know, 50 million of our years long? I've never found anything in the Bible that says a day is 24 hours. As a matter of fact, back 6,000 years ago they didn't even know that a day was 24 hours.

I think you can see where my confusion comes in with this religious test business. I mean, with Tsar George, it's easy to understand. He's not exactly the brightest bulb in the box. These other guys pretend to be genius'.

am i wrong? what do you think?

just asking...



*Article VI: The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several state legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers, both of the United States and of the several states, shall be bound by oath or affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

No comments: