05 November 2006

what I'm reading...

I have this habit that I picked up from my father. It's called reading. He constantly had books, multiple books, that he was reading at the same time. I do the same thing. I can be reading anywhere from 5 - 10 books in the process of reading at any one moment.

Here is the current list. It kind of speaks to where my head is from time to time. Some of them have been in process for a while others I recently picked up.


In process:

The Conservative Soul: How We Lost It; How to Get It Back by Andrew Sullivan



The War of the World by Niall Ferguson



Misquoting Jesus by Bart D. Ehrman



The One-Percent Doctrine by Ron Suskind



Evolution's Rainbow : Diversity, Gender, and Sexuality in Nature and People by Joan Roughgarden


Just finished:

When Nietzsche Wept by Irvin D. Yalom


Waiting in the wings:

Teacher Man: A Memoir by Frank McCourt



And They All Sang: Adventures of an Eclectic Disc Jockey by Studs Terkel


And in process for a long period of time:

Autobiographie Erotique by Bruce Benderson. [I bought this in Paris a year or so ago in it's original French. It hadn't been translated into English yet even though Benderson is from New York. It's slow going for me because of all the idiomatic language and colloquilisms. Even though it's now in English, entitled The Romanian: Story of an Obsession, I refuse to get it until I finish the original French.]


This list is in no way complete. there are piles of books all over the house. These are the ones in reach and current. I have others that I'll get around to eventually.

Reading is the most important thing anyone can do. It is the source of not only information but of pleasure, wisdom, riches, and position. I have been dedicated to teaching reading all of my professional life. When a kid can read, a kid can be/do anything he/she wants to be. If you have children, read to them every day. If you know children, buy them books that will last forever. If you have time, volunteer for a Literacy Program to give someone the gift you already have. It can change a life. Two lives - yours and theirs.

What do you have to loose?

just asking...

No comments: