25 April 2006

what you believe in...

If you've been reading along with me, you must realize that I stand pretty left of center. Not all the way left, but pretty well left. I strongly acknowledge that everyone has the right to believe whatever they want and to be whomever they want. The one exception I make is that no one is harmed in anyway, unless consenting.

If you want to believe in the Great Spaghetti Monster, who am I to deny you. However, if I want to eat spaghetti, I have that right. [Wait a minute - they eat Jesus and drink his blood!] No one is being harmed. [I don't believe that spaghetti can feel pain.] And if anyone believes in the GSM and objects to my eating spaghetti, well, I'm not physically harming them. If they say it hurts their feelings and beliefs, that's their problem and they will have to get over it. Actually, they need to understand that there is nothing to get over. I am not stopping them from believing in the GSM.

The same goes for Christianists, Muslimists, Republicanists, Marxists, Communists.... You get the picture. They can be free to believe whatever they want. As long as they allow me the freedom to believe whatever I want, AND be whomever I want or am.

Unfortunately, there are too many 'ists who don't think that this is my right or freedom. They want that you and I should only believe in their way. Well, they are free to believe that too. However, they can't make me do it, and in a democratic society they don't have the right to put limits on things for everyone who cannot believe as they do. Again, the one caveat is that no one is harmed.

There are just too many things going on in this country, and world, that are caused by people wanting everybody to be the way they think. Actually, it seems to be human history. Control by one person over others appears to be de rigueur for a long time.

why can't we all just get along and accept the differences???

No comments: